2010年7月10日星期六

Blog writing #6 ----African American Heritage Trail

Blog writing #6

Ji Mengzhu (Kelly)

07/10/2010

This week we go to the African America Heritage Trail which is located in Boston. Also, we visit a lot of places, such as Robert Gould Shaw and 54th Regiment Memorial, the Phillips school, John J. Smith House, the African Meeting House and so on. In the following paragraph, I will generally provide the information of African American Heritage and mainly focus on one part that I am interested in.

According to the introduction of the Arica America Heritage from the website, it said that “between 1800 and 1900, most of the African Americans who lived in the city lived in the West End, between Pinckney and Cambridge Streets, and between Joy and Charles Streets, a neighborhood now called the North Slope of Beacon Hill. The American Revolution was a turning point in the status of Africans in Massachusetts. At the end of the conflict, there were more free black people than slaves. When the first federal census was enumerated in 1790, Massachusetts was the only state in the Union to record no slaves”(Museum of African America Heritage history 2010).

Additionally, what I am attractive to is the first site called Robert Gould Shaw and 54th Regiment Memorial. This is because the 54th Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry was the first black regiment to be recruited in the North. Furthermore, I like that statue very much, which is quite delicate. Also, there is another reason why I like it. This statue is very similar in terms of appearance to one that is located in my hometown, Chongqing. Therefore, when I appreciate this statue, I have the strong nostalgia to my hometown.

In a word, I think this trip is very meaningful although the weather is extremely hot!

没有评论:

发表评论